Obtaining a Passport Book
You must carry a Passport BOOK. (Passport Cards are not valid for international air travel)
First Time Passport Book Applicant
- Apply Early
Processing can take as long as five months. If you are considering travel to Europe, start the process now.
- Obtain a Passport Book Application
Forms are available at your local post office or may be printed from the www.travel.state.gov website. You can also call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
- Complete the Passport Book Application
Your information must be typed or written in BLACK ink. IMPORTANT: Do not sign the passport application until you are instructed to do so at your passport acceptance facility.
- Obtain Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Valid proof includes a previous passport, certificate of citizenship, naturalization certificate, or certified copy of birth certificate available from the registrar's office in the county of birth. Birth certificate must include the full names of the applicant's parent(s). If you cannot obtain any of the above, check with the sources in #2 for other options.
- Obtain Photographs
You must have one 2" x 2" photos taken within the last 6 months and showing current appearance. The photo must be in color, showing a front view of your face and with a white or off-white background.
- Obtain Personal Identification
Valid ID includes a previous U.S. passport, a CURRENT (not expired) driver's license, naturalization certificate, state ID card, or military ID. Your ID must have an expiration date and photograph, and must reflect any name changes. Both parents must accompany a child who does not have a picture ID and submit documentation of legal guardianship and consent. Bring a one-sided copy of the front and back of each ID.
- Bring Application Form in Person
Do NOT sign the form. Bring the form, proof of citizenship, photographs, ID and copies of ID IN PERSON to your passport acceptance facility. Consult sources in #2 for a list of locations.
- Pay Fee
At time of writing, the fee is $145 for those 16 years of age and over (valid for 10 years) and $115 for those under 16 (valid for 5 years). Applications can be expedited for an additional fee of $60 (recommended if within 4 months of departure). Verify with your passport acceptance facility, in advance, their fee amounts, accepted forms of payment, and other payment instructions.
How to Renew a Passport Book
- Your passport must be valid for more than six (6) months after your scheduled return date. If your expiration date falls within 3 to 6 months of your return date, call the airlines to verify the current regulations.
- At time of writing, renewing a passport costs $110. You will need to send your check, one new passport photo, most recent passport (undamaged), and a completed Passport Renewal Form obtained through one of the sources listed at the bottom of this page.
Other Important Information
- If you have not received your passport within three months of applying, or at least a month prior to departure, we recommend that you contact the National Passport Information Center to check on the status.
- Minors under 18 years of age must have all legal guardians present at time of application.
- If you do not provide a social security number, the IRS may impose a $500 penalty, processing may be delayed, and your application may be denied.
- Information about visa requirements is available from the consulate of the countries to which you are traveling, and usually can be found on their website.
- When you receive your passport, sign it, fill out the emergency information page, and carry it with you in a secure place at all times while traveling abroad.
- This information is only a condensed guideline and is subject to change. Image Tours accepts no responsibility or liability for any incomplete or incorrect information. For the most current and complete information, consult one of the following sources:
Customer Reviews about Image Tours:
Becky & John Riles
HEART OF EUROPE® Circle Tour - Apr-2018
The experience of touring with Image Tours gave us a wonderful opportunity to learn so much more than we could have accomplished on our own.
Catherine & Ken Holmstrom
Scandinavia & Baltic Highlights Tour - May-2019
The coach driver was extremely skilled at driving and knowledgeable of roads in every town.
Don & Nancy Van Heel
Spain & Portugal Tour - Apr-2017
We have taken five tours with IMAGE . . . Beautiful scenery, very interesting history, excellent local guides.
Dennis & Elizabeth Carroll
HEART OF EUROPE® Circle Tour - Apr-2019
The food was outstanding! Much better than ever expected! Great variety from the area and it was delicious!